Welcome to the last day of the carnival. If you had a winning day on Oaks I will get you to pick my Powerball numbers for me. Emirates Stakes day is the second best day on the racing calendar with the running of three cracking races The Emirates Stakes, The Queen Elizabeth Stakes and the Darley Classic. It is a day for the future punters, owners, trainers and jockeys to come to the races with their mum and dads and enjoy every thing racing has to offer and there is no place better than Flemington to have your first outing at a racetrack. Flemington is the home of horse racing and it should be a cracking attendance on Saturday with hot and sunny weather forecasted. It’s been a winning week for Chips In Racing so lets go out swinging on the final day and make this a carnival to remember! #chasethesun #nothingbeatsspring
Emirates Stakes (Group 1)
1. Happy Clapper. Brave Epsom winner who doesn’t have to line up against Winx on Saturday. Personally I think he is a genuine miler not a weight for age 2000m horse. Flemington straight will pull him up late.
2. It’s Somewhat. Very disappointing at the valley on Cox Plate day. Will be better suited to Flemington and he can bounce back. Goes into all multiples and exotics.
3. Galio Chop. Will lead them around the home straight and give a good sight. Brave run in The Cox Plate but was obviously no match for Winx. Beat Melbourne Cup runner up Johannes Vermeer two starts back at Caulfield over 2000m. Can figure.
4. Tosen Stardom. Was very plain on Derby Day in the Cantala. Was vetted post race which found no abnormalities. Win two starts back in The Group 1 Toorak was super and he does go ok at 2000m. Wouldn’t surprise.
5. Sense Of Occasion. Big step up in class. Would probably need the heavens to open up. The 2000m does look appealing but others tick more boxes.
6. Tom Melbourne. The bookies best mate. Looked home again for your life on Saturday but he knows how to dodge a photo. Seems to always find one better and he lost the winning feeling. In saying that he will look the winner at some stage.
7. Folkswood. Lost a plate in The Cox Plate but still held on for a placing. The win in The Cranbourne Cup was sensational at his first Australian start. He has a good record at 2000m and there is no Winx or Humidor in his way on Saturday. If he has come through his last run ok he should be in the finish Saturday.
8. Sir Issac Newton. Scratched.
9. Harlem. Needs to lift to a new level to be competitive here. Blinkers go on and his last win was over 2000m. This maybe an afterthought.
10. Gingernuts. Will probably start race favourite. Classy New Zealand raider who has put three solid runs together this preparation. Beaten odds on favourite in a Group 1 event last start over 2040m. Michael Dee takes the ride and he is currently flying. I think he will be fighting the finish out with Folkswood with even luck.
11. Odeon. Currently flying putting two fantastic wins together including a blinder on Melbourne Cup Day. Massive step up in class but he can sneak into the places.
12. So Si Bon. Inconsistent. Produces teasing runs every few starts but is expensive to follow. Can run a big race depending if he turns up or not. Take on trust.
13. The Taj Mahal. Needs to produce his best after a barry crocker of an Australian racing debut. Would need to be a massive turnaround in form to be in the finish. No thanks.
14. Samovare. Great campaign and has been competitive at Group 3 level several times. Fair run in The Group 1 Underwood. Light weight chance with the blinkers being applied.
15. Cliff’s Edge. Cracking 3 year old colt who has been ultra competitive and consistent in all the traditional Derby lead up events. Was beaten last start by The Oaks favourite Aloisia in The Group 2 AAMI Vase over 2040m. 51kg is a blessing under the weight for age scale but this is a massive step up. May lead them a merry dance up in front.
7. Folkswood ($5)
10. Gingernuts ($6.50)
11. Odeon ($21)
2. It’s Somewhat ($18)
6. Tom Melbourne ($11)
Chips In Best Bet: Flemington Race 3 Number 1 Fastnet Tempest (10 units the win 10 units the place @$3)
Best Each Way: Flemington Race 8 Number 7 Folkswood (6 units the win 4 units the place @$5)
Best Roughie: Flemington Race 4 Number 6 Duke Of Brunswick (3 units the win 7 units the place @$13)
Next Best: Flemington Race 7 Number 1 Chautauqua (5 units the win 5 units the place @$7)
Best Place Bet: Flemington Race 5 Number 1 Qewy (10 units the place @$1.70)
Chase The Sun
Tony James Edser