Welcome to the last day of the carnival. If you had a winning day on Oaks I will get you to pick my Powerball numbers for me. Stakes day is the second best day on the racing calendar with the running of three cracking races The Mackinnon Stakes, The Queen Elizabeth Stakes and the VRC Sprint. It is a day for the future punters, owners, trainers and jockeys to come to the races with their mum and dads and enjoy every thing racing has to offer and there is no place better than Flemington to have your first outing at a racetrack. Flemington is the home of horse racing and it should be a cracking attendance on Saturday with a positive forecast predicated for Stakes Day. After a rough Oaks day on the punt most are looking for a way to the airport. Let’s go out swinging and make this a carnival to remember! #chasethesun #nothingbeatsspring
Mackinnon Stakes (Group 1)
1. It’s Somewhat. Couldn’t have him on recent form. He has the same kind of form leading into this race as he did last year where he ran third. $18 seems the right price.
2. Prized Icon. Fantastic run behind Cliff’s Edge at The Valley over 2000m after a forgive run at Caulfield where he covered more ground than an Uber driver on Derby night. Won’t be surprised if he runs well at the $15 and he did win The Derby on this track. Outside chance.
3. Blair House. Nearly broke the Caulfield track record with Benbatl who was competitive with Winx in a Cox Plate. Gun barrier, gun jockey, and $2.30 is about the right price. Has been saved for this race and will peak third up on Saturday. Probably will start odds on.
4. Trap For Fools. Ran well here behind Winx in The Turnbull before being narrowly beaten by Ventura Storm in The Moonee Valley Gold Cup. He will give a good sight and may hang on.
5. Doubt Defying. Probably outclassed, however he was ultra impressive in The Sale Cup. Throw at the stumps but why not?! He will give this a red hot crack.
6. Octabello. Looks a place chance at best. Would need to improve on Crystal Mile run.
7. Latrobe. Clear second pick and threat to the favourite. Won the Irish Derby and this has been his target race. Has to go close and is a must for all quaddies and exotics.
8. Shillelagh. Great win in The Empire Rose on Saturday. A mare in from is hard to argue with and if she is given another 10/10 ride she is a big chance. First go at 2000m and at weight for age are the queries.
9. Extra Brut. Love three year olds in weight for age races. Only 51kg for a flying, rock hard fit, Derby winner. Yes this is a huge class rise, but he is a chance if Craig can get him to settle.
10. Mickey Blue Eyes. Looks out of reach, however he is racing without luck at the moment.
Mackinnon Stakes Selections
1. Blair House (3) $2.30
2. Latrobe (7) $5
3. Extra Brutt (9) $7
4. Trap For Fools (4) $11
5. Prized Icon (2) $16
Chips In Best Bet: Flemington Race 8 Number 3 Blair House (20 units the win @$2.25)
Best Each Way: Flemington Race 6 Number 12 Aqua D’ivina (6 units the win 4 units the place @$8)
Best Roughie: Flemington Race 7 Number 13 Spright (3 units the win 7 units the place $41)
Next Best: Flemington Race 3 Number 6 Ringerdingding (5 units the win 5 units the place @$4)
Best Place: Flemington Race 1 Number 3 Manuel (2 units the win 8 units the place @$3.20/$1.60)
Chase The Sun
Tony James Edser