Well after battling in the trenches on Melbourne Cup day it’s time to hit back with a winner on Ladies day! The running of the million dollar Kennedy Oaks is the feature but it is supported with a typically strong and competitive Oaks Day program. Most punters would be hurting today after the usual rough results that is associated with a Melbourne Cup program. Yesterday we witnessed triumph and tragedy at Flemington and unfortunately a small minority is trying to give our sport a black eye with the whole world watching. We will move on and enjoy ladies day tomorrow as it promises to be a cracking day. I am sure the ignorant hypocrites will enjoy their steaks and pork for dinner and I hope they feel better for commenting on something they know nothing about. It’s a big week, and this is the part of the week the body starts to hurt and the bank balance is gone if you haven’t backed winners, ankles are swollen and the form guides turn into riddles, the thought of Cathy in Atlanta makes me lift. Nothing beats spring #chasethesun #Chipsin #halfwaythruapuntingmarathon
Kennedy Oaks (Group 1)
1. Amphitrite. Was a horror show on Saturday in The Group 1 Empire Rose. I am sure she got out in the carpark! Class will take her along way despite I feel this race being an after thought. Would she have gone around here if she had won Saturday? Easily the one to beat.
2. Aristia. Impressive win on Saturday and I am surprised she hasn’t opened as favourite. Finally broke her maiden in the best way possible after being given a 10/10 ride by Damien Lane in The Group 2 Wakeful Stakes. Should get a gun run from barrier 4. Big Chance for First Light Racing to grab their first Group 1 Win. Good Luck to Tim Wilson and the team at FLR!
3. Qafila. Not sure the step up in distance will help. Was solid behind Aristia after being blocked early into the home straight. Put in all exotics.
4. Verry Elleegnt. Love to hate this horse. The ‘People’s Pork Chop’. If she settles she wins. If she doesn’t she will choke herself out of the race like Saturday. I think she is good enough to win an Oaks, however she can’t if she doesn’t behave in transit. Toss a coin with her.
5. Greysful Glamour. Couldn’t get on her after her run in The Group 3 Ethereal. Needs to do a Cathy #lift.
6. Sizzleme. Over the odds. Loved her run on Saturday and if she can settle she is great each way value. 2500m should suit and she will peak tomorrow.
7. Dark Confidant. Knows how to draw a shit barrier. Will need massive luck and a dramatic improvement.
8. Miss Moana. Will run out the trip. Class rise is huge but anything can happen in an Oaks. Goulburn and Newcastle form is hard to line up but we all remember Brendon Avdulla a couple of years ago on Lasqueti Spirit at $150-1.
9. Maracaibo. 2500m will suit on recent winning country and provincial form. Others have stronger form but she will be game and in it for the majority.
10. Scamper. Working progressively nicely towards the 2500m. Up in grade but expect a bold showing.
11. Zapurler. Has a lovely turn of foot and broke her maiden impressively last start. The Weir camp are more than having a throw at the stumps, she will be ready to lift. Great value at the $13. Weir could trifecta the feature.
12. Collectable. Great run at Caulfield in The Ethereal. James McDonald takes the mount and despite the tricky barrier draw she offers value at $20. Could give a good sight.
13. Exclusively Ours. Won’t be lobbing in at the $201. Last start was average. Last in The Wakeful on Saturday doesn’t scream out Oaks winner.
14. Miner’s Miss. Like it’s breeding (Rebel Raider 2008 Derby Winner) but form isn’t very strong. Won a Avoca Maiden last start but I reckon I could with less muffins and beers. Place at chance at best.
15. Lesedi. Love the name. Unfortunately though I don’t think the form warrants a selection.
1. Amphitrite (1) $3.80
2. Zapurler (11) $13.00
3. Aristia (2) $5.00
4. Collectable (12) $18.00
5. Verry Elleegant (4) $4.80
Chips In Best Bet: Flemington Race 1 Number 5 Chicago Bull (20 units @$2.50)
Best Each Way: Flemington Race 6 Number 4 Kaepernick (6 units the win 4 units the place @$7)
Best Roughie: Flemington Race 9 Number 8 Propelle (3 units the win 7 units the place @$12)
Next Best: Flemington Race 8 Number 1 Amphitrite (5 units the win 5 units the place @$3.80)
Best Place Bet: Flemington Race 7 Number 6 Junipal (2 units the win 8 units the place @$4.50/$1.90)
Happy Punting! #Ladies Day
Chase The Sun
Tony James Edser